Windows 10 0x8007042B – 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation

• Thread starter Thread starter DMacdonald_UK
  • Start date Start date
D

DMacdonald_UK

I have an HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df0xxx currently running Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version1803. I have tried upgrading to both version 1909 as well as 20H2 without any success (error messages below). I have performed the following to try and remedy:

1. I have uninstalled Norton Security.

2. Under command prompt, I have run the following as administrator, all of which have returned no errors

a. Sfc / scannow

b. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Scanhealth

c. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

3. Under Control Panel -> Admin Tools I have freed up disk space (there is over 300GB of space so this is clearly not he issue) and cleaned up system files

4. To provide a clean upgrade environment, I have run the following commands in command prompt:

a. Net stop wuauserv

b. Net stop cryptsvc

c. Net stop bits

d. Net stop msiserver

e. ren c:\windows\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.old

f. ren c:\ESD ESD.old

g. Net start wuauserv

h. Net start cryptsvc

i. Net start bits

j. Net start msiserver

5. I have also run chkdsk c: /f /x /r – no errors reported.

6. When trying to do an upgrade via system->Update & Security -> Check for updates, it tries to upgrade first to v20H2 (“failed to install – 0x8007042b”) and after that fails it has tried to upgrade to 1909 which also fails (“failed to install – 0x800f0830”).

7. I have downloaded Windows Media Creation tool and I get the following error: 0x8007042B – 0x4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation

I’m all out of ideas as to how to fix this issue now. Any help would be appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back