Windows 10 2018-11 Cumulative Update KB4467682 breaks custom Win 10 Start Menus

• Thread starter Thread starter LobotomizedJ
  • Start date Start date
L

LobotomizedJ

Hi, I work for a non-profit as part of the IT Dept, we run Win 10 Pro throughout our facilities, since we can't afford Enterprise. As part of that, to avoid the crapware constantly popping up in the start menus of my users, I used the procedures found here and here to create a custom start menu applied to every PC using Group Policy. It has worked beautifully for a number of months now on over a hundred PC's. However after KB4467682 was released, I've noticed that when a user logs into a PC they haven't logged into before, instead of this:

We have this:

It only affects programs in the exported XML file that are Win32, rather than Provisioned apps (hence why you still see the icon for the Weather app). And I've been able to narrow it down to KB4467682, as it just started happening in the last few days. Also, I uninstalled KB4467682, reapplied the Group Policy, and it worked fine.

In the XML file, I have attemtped to change both the %ALLUSERSPROFILE% or %APPDATA% value to the actual file path (C:\Program Data....); I've re-exported a pre-created start menu using the Export-StartLayout command in powershell on the SAME PC after KB4467682 is applied, set it as the start menu in GP, and logged into with a different user account, no change. I've copied the XML file from the read-only share on our fileserver that it's been stored on for months now, copied it to the local machine and set in GP, no change.

But, again, once I uninstall KB4467682, then it works fine on the same PC. Something changed and it broke Microsoft

XML file follows:

<LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification" xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout">

<LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" />

<DefaultLayoutOverride LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType="OnlySpecifiedGroups">

<StartLayoutCollection>

<defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6">

<start:Group Name="Internet">

<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" />

<start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />

<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk" />

</start:Group>

<start:Group Name="Microsoft Office">

<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Excel 2010.lnk" />

<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft PowerPoint 2010.lnk" />

<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Word 2010.lnk" />

</start:Group>

</defaultlayout:StartLayout>

</StartLayoutCollection>

</DefaultLayoutOverride>

<CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection PinListPlacement="Replace">

<defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>

<taskbar:TaskbarPinList>

<taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\File Explorer.lnk" />

<taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk" />

<taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" />

</taskbar:TaskbarPinList>

</defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>

</CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection>

</LayoutModificationTemplate>

Continue reading...

Back