Windows 10 2021-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4601319) - Serious update issues AGAIN!!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter GrahamGSME
  • Start date Start date
G

GrahamGSME

I am getting VERY tired of constantly firefighting windows updates on three separate laptops, with three entirely different software profiles. Windows updates in the past has entirely destroyed one laptop (that is NOT an exageration!!!) and last year cost me 100 GBP to get a technician to get my laptop unbricked as a result of another Windows update travesty. And now I am losing work time and money that I CANNOT aford to lose on these s**t updates yet again!

These update woes always start the same way. I notice that my computer starts to slow down to disastrous speeds - 30 seconds or more before a mouse click gets any kind of response. It's almost always down to windows update activity as has been in this case. On checking for updates this time I see that there has been several failures to install the current update and it gets stuck at "Status: Installing - 20%". Note that I have 750 GB free, so there are no drive space issues.

When I restart my computer it then gets stuck on the "getting windows ready - do not turn off your computer", so I have to do a hard restart. I have had to do this several times. On one occasion the login screen went through an entirely blurred cycling and it wouldn't recognise my pin when the the login field finally appeared long enough for me to type it in. After another hard restart I was able to log in normally after a shorter "getting windows ready" screen.

I tried the update troubleshooter that just gets endlessly stuck on "checking for a restart", so the update troubleshooter really needs its own troubleshooter!

I tried manually downloading and installing the update from the microsoft website. That just got stuck at the "initiating" stage while putting my computer into airplane mode and thus disconnecting from the internet and my bluetooth mouse (is it supposed to do this?). So... another restart and another cycle of the "getting windows ready" **** and a second day lost. This time windows update got to "Status: Installing - 100%", but then "Error encountered. Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the updates again later. Error code: (0x800700d).

Is there anyone out there who can help fix this???

Continue reading...

Back