Windows 10 3rd party apps shortcuts disappeared on Start Menu; Startmenu.diagcab found issue but couldn't fix; Tried to fix with in-place upgrade, got errors.

• Thread starter Thread starter audiobulb
  • Start date Start date
A

audiobulb

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.906]

The problem occurred suddenly and seemingly without a cause. Not all, but nearly half of so many personal apps' shortcuts disappeared on the Startmenu, some of them may be new but some were very old. I thought I'd just repin them all over again. But no, Repin Won't Work either. Nothing new can be pinned. Unpin works, however.

I then tried startmenu.diagcab a few times. All but the same result:

And then I tried the in-place upgrade by MediaCreationTool20H2.exe. The first time I got "0xC1900101-0x2000C failed in SAFE-OS phase with error during APPLY-IMAGE operation".

Following some advice, I freed up more space on system drive and tried two more times, both came with the same error: "0x800707E7-0x3000D The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation."

Update function works fine within the system. wu10.diagcab found no issue. Everthing else seems to be fine.

I'm running out of ideas. Please help!

(Fresh reinstallation is the last thing I want. It would be a nightmare for me.)

Continue reading...

Back