Windows 10 A failed install of 2021-04 Update for Windows 20H2 (KB5001330) had possibly corrupted my system files

• Thread starter Thread starter Ian_Lau
  • Start date Start date
I

Ian_Lau

Yesterday, Windows notified me to restart to install a new update, after restart, it seemed like nothing had happened, but in reality I realised apps are running very slow (including but not limited to nodejs), and some software like Docker even failed to run/reinstall.

I tried to further investigate on the issue, and I realised a failed update notice is shown on the update tab in Windows settings. I retried several times (like 15, until I eventually gave up) but the update is still not being correctly installed.

After that, I tried to run sfc /scannow, but it wasn't working with the error message of "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.", even I had the trustedinstaller service running in the background with the start mode set to auto.

Later, I tried to use DISM /Online, but it says:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth​

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool​

Version: 10.0.19041.844​

Image Version: 10.0.19042.867​

Error: 193​

%1 is not a valid Win32 application.​

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log​

and it didn't work.

After that, I tried to uninstall an update through the update history page, then I got redirected to Control Panel, but it says "No updates are installed on this computer."

I believe that the system files of my computer had been corrupted intensely as I see some windows icon started appearing as vertical rectangles (Icon not found).

I would really hope someone can help with my situation as I really need to be able to use my PC properly for work, thanks.

Note:
1 - I'm currently using Windows 10 Pro.
2 - The first failed install has an error code of 0x800706be, the second failed install and after has an error code of 0x800700c1

Continue reading...

Back