Windows 10 A Microsoft support agent made my laptop completely unsuable, and I'm told I have to pay for it. What should I do?

• Thread starter Thread starter FrustratedLibra
  • Start date Start date
F

FrustratedLibra

Backstory: Since the infamous October update, I had been getting random freeze ups on my machine that required me to hard reset because nothing was responding. I spoke to seven different Microsoft help agents to try to help me with this issue, and am now instead stuck with a relatively new laptop that is completely unusable.

I granted one of the agents control of my screen, and watched her download the ISO for one of the updates and start the installation. She was extremely confident that I would not lose any of my files, and that my issue would definitely be fixed. (I asked her multiple times, as I use this computer for my personal work.)

After the installation, I logged into my machine and am greeted to a completely black desktop with a start bar, and an error that tells me that my user profile isn't connected or cannot be found. Upon clicking OK on the error message, the only application that appears on the desktop shortcuts is the Recycle Bin, which on clicking, only gives me another error that lets me know that windows explorer is not functioning. Obviously, I contact another agent again... And get redirected to a higher level agent.. And then the Microsoft support site goes down suddenly, and then I finally get connected with the last agent.

Apparently, this issue that I currently have with the black screen and the user profile error is a KNOWN issue to Microsoft, and yet one of the previous agents STILL proceeded to download this version of windows and install it, rendering my laptop completely unusable. I am told also that the only way that I can fix this is if I basically have another PC, which I do not, to download a previous version of the ISO and install it, and lose all my personal files, or I have to bring it to a technician in person and pay for it myself to get it done while keeping my files recovered.

Is there any way that I can do this without losing my files? Or if I have to go and get this fixed is it better to go to big box store like Best Buy's Geek Squad or a smaller mom and pop computer shop? I would have preferred to stick with the freeze-ups on this computer than it be completely unusable.

Thanks Microsoft for rendering my computer only partially useful with your software update, and thanks DOUBLE for your support agents who made it completely useless, and then proceeded to tell me I needed to pay to fix YOUR mistake. :|

Continue reading...

Back