Windows 10 A problem with devices in the "sound" menu in the control panel. Can I use any other audio drivers than Realtek and Microsoft HD Audio on Windows 10?

• Thread starter Thread starter StarshipJake
  • Start date Start date
S

StarshipJake

Hello!

I have an Acer Aspire 792G laptop with Windows 10 installed.

I had been running a Realtek audio driver since I acquired the laptop, but recently I found an issue.

When having the Realtek driver installed and running, my internal laptop speakers and my plugged in headphones appear as the same device in the "sound" menu in the control panel. As in, if the headphones are unplugged, I see the "speakers" device working. And when I plug in the headphones, it's still the same "speakers" device that's playing all the sounds. So for example, if I disable the "speakers" device while having the headphones unplugged, then after I plug them in, there's still no sound from the headphones, because they are now disabled, as they just "become" the speakers. And I desperately need them to appear as two separate devices so that one of them can be disabled while keeping the other one going.

I tried switching to Microsoft HD Audio drivers, and they actually do just that: now the headphones and the speakers appear as two separate devices and I can disable and enable each of them individually as I please. Unfortunately, this driver has its own issues, the sound quality is worse, and there's some popping sound going on in the headphones, indicating that there's a problem of some sorts.

I know that in most laptops, Realtek driver has advanced settings available where you could separate the speakers from the headphones, unfortunately, my laptop appears to be one of the few which doesn't support advanced Realtek settings at all, as I can't access this menu.

So my question is, are there any other drivers I can try out? Or perhaps there's another way to separate speakers from the headphones without sacrificing the sound quality?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Continue reading...

Back