Windows 10 Access denied error when trying to change ownership of Local Disk (C:)

• Thread starter Thread starter TrevarWoods
  • Start date Start date
T

TrevarWoods

It all started with my PC waking itself from sleep multiple times every day. Event log and cmd always show "Unknown" for the cause. I have already disabled "wake from sleep" for all devices and have turned automatic updates/maintenance off. The only thing left I can think of is UpdateOrchestrator. When I attempt to turn off "wake the computer to run this task", it prompts me to select a user name and enter a password. By default it shows S-1-5-18 as the user, but I have the option to select my own user account name. Entering the password for my user account brings the error "The supplied variant structure contains invalid data" which I assume means the password is wrong. I have activated the hidden administrator account and attempted the changes through there, but to no avail. I'm now attempting to give my user account full control by changing ownership of Local Disk C (Where OS is installed) but it always says "Access denied". How on earth do I get control of this God-forsaken PC?

Continue reading...

Back