Windows 10 Access to Microsoft Login page on Firefox 86.0.1 is a weakly constructed, fake login page...

• Thread starter Thread starter BaranKhan
  • Start date Start date
B

BaranKhan

Hi. I have an Asus Vivo Book Max with Windows 10 Home v. 20H2 fully patched; Avast Premier set to fully protect, including Firewall.

I previously had been able to utilize my Firefox browser (v. 85...) as my default, and always had a seamless experience going everywhere with, i.e.: Microsoft Login page, Google Login page, idMe. login.gov, etc... Not anymore. With the advent of both Firefox 86.0, and now Firefox 86.0.1, as well as the March Windows Upgrade KB5000802 (Cumulative Update to Windows 10, version 20H2), I have been made to choose Microsoft Edge (Chromium) in order to have any access to the true Microsoft Login Page. The same old page that asks for my email, or user name, which in my case is my old Hotmail address. The page has always had that particular being in 2" x 1 1/2 " box centered in the screen. Together with the clues in the address box we can know this is the right place to begin to enter our bona-fides. Click when done, and one gets the password page, etc... in the last two weeks, with the Firefox upgrade, I would go to the login page, and a strangely constructed login page would appear. All of the type would be in the upper left hand corner of the page, in size 10 font. At first, it also exhibited to small boxes, where I assume one would, if so inclined, place one's username, and then password. I tried once, since the page indicators in the address bar showed it was safe, secure, and made by Microsoft. It did not log me in. I did a hard shutdown of my laptop, that is, using the power button, started it back up, and reset my password at the login page. Once everything was started, I went back to the offending 'Microsoft Login' page, and did the page inspection, selecting the 'console' variable. It came up with two warnings, and 3 errors for the script. This is unacceptable. So, having no other option, I opened Edge. I immediately found I was already logged into my Microsoft account. Strange, since I had just used my Avast Cleanup Premium to delete all traces of cookies, cache, etc... in all of my browsers. And it always does a complete job. Or so I thought. Now, after all of this chatter, where am I going. Sadly, I have come to some disturbing conclusions: 1) Mozilla needs to hire some new coders, because it seems they cannot debug even simple script errors; 2) Microsoft is practicing it's own 'Denial of Access' attack, perhaps utilizing Heap Spray, in order to prevent Microsoft Account access from Firefox products; 3) and in doing so, making me use Edge as my default browser. Now, I have to compliment Google, through Chromium, in licensing or allowing Microsoft to utilize a Chromium produced 'Edge'. It is superior to any browser Microsoft has previously offered, and I am content with it's security, especially since it allows me to use the same two adware catchers to work in tandem that I use in Firefox; 'uBlock Origen, and Privacy Badger. The first one has default settings for thousands of domains, but the second has a manual option, which I use as a mousetrap. The Electronic Frontiers Foundation suggests using both in tandem. and this is the reason I know Microsoft is responsible for all of this. I have all apps in my system blocked at the firewall if they do not have certificate protection. Only Microsoft applications have no protection. These are Solitaire Suite, Outlook (365), and Microsoft Store. That is why I go online for my Hotmail. so advertisers do not have access. BK

Continue reading...

Back