Windows 10 Activation on BootCamp partition on new iMac - activation fails 0xc004c060

• Thread starter Thread starter RichardOsmond1
  • Start date Start date
R

RichardOsmond1

I bought a boxed USB stick version of Windows 10 Home from Amazon two years ago, and installed it on a boot camp partition on my iMac. I've recently purchased a new iMac and so wanted to transfer the license to the new machine, again on a boot camp partition. I uninstalled the license on the old machine (slmgr /upk), but when trying to activate windows using my product code on the new machine's bootcamp partition I got the error code 0xc004c060. I spoke to support who informed me that I was only allowed to activate the license 5 times, and that I had reached that limit, so I needed to buy a new license. I was also told that if I bought a software license direct from MS the activation limit was higher (10 activations).

I don't see quite how I have reached the limit, since it's only ever been on one machine (and with no change of hardware, not even a memory upgrade!). The support man wasn't able to give me any details of the claimed machines it's been activated on either. He said my only recourse was to contact the original seller of the box for further activations, which given it was an Amazon reseller seemed most odd (and unlikely to result in any joy).

I've also had a look here: New Page and I can't see where it says anything about there being an activation limit.

Bottom line, is there anything that can be done? I'm inclined simply to give it up as a bad job and uninstall Windows altogether if nothing can be done - no point in throwing good money after bad...

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Richard

Continue reading...