Windows 10 Adding a new rule using Windows Defender Firewall

• Thread starter Thread starter Dan2012UR
  • Start date Start date
D

Dan2012UR

Hi all. I have an HP All-In-One Desktop running Windows 10 Version 1909, Build 18363.720. I regularly run Windows update and the last update I received, March 12, 2020 is KB4551762 (OS Builds 18362.720 and 18363.720).

I manage my music through an older Logitech Squeezebox Media Server which includes the software media server and a the hardware squeezebox. The PC connects to the hardware through port 9. I've been very happy with the configuration until recently when it failed and the media server diagnostics confirmed the PC couldn't connect to port 9 which is what the Squeezebox requires.

My primary virus protection is provided by BullGuard Internet Security. I've contacted Bullguard support and through them confirmed that (by turning off BullGuard completely) that the problem is more likely a Windows Defender issue.

My secondary virus protection is provided by Windows Defender.

AT & T provides my internet services. Management of their router goes through the standard IP address 192.168.1.254. There is no rule - outbound or inbound that definitively allows access to that router. When I that address through the PowerShell (Admin) process it comes back as a general failure. That's the case for the Squeezebox address as well.

I checked the outbound and inbound rules of the Windows defender firewall tool and don't see a specific rule relating to the AT&T router and, while I'm not sure if there ever was one I'm thinking that adding a rule to the router may resolve my issue. I have never added a firewall rule and would like to do it right.

I'd like some feedback from experts whether I'm heading down the right path, and if so, advice on how to add a new firewall rule - is it an inbound rule or outbound.

FYI, there is an inbound rule which can see which refers to an AllJoyn router which is a TCP rule which refers to port 9955. My own AT&T router is a Cisco brand.

Much obliged. Dan

Continue reading...

Back