Windows 10 After 1511 worked well, the Anniversary Edition (1607) has made a mess of my computer

• Thread starter Thread starter highstream
  • Start date Start date
H

highstream

In December and January, I updated from 1511, which was working wonderfully, to 1607, which took seven tries to complete successfully. Even then, Restarts and Startups would frequently hang and had to be done manually (or repeated) - and that's still going on after a clean install of 1607 yesterday. But I'm getting ahead of myself. In addition, music files playing via Zoom Player, VLC, foobar and other players to a dac via USB would stop playing after a bit - one, two or several songs in - and effectively freeze the computer. In addition, XYplorer file manager would go nonresponding and had to be closed by shutting down the computer via the case button. Finally, it got so that explorer.exe ran constantly at 13-16% and desktop icons had to be double clicked to open, even though the setting was on single click (the single clicks typically took 1-2 minutes to open, if they did at all). Several weeks back, I went looking for a program or driver conflict, but nothing turned up. The only solution seemed to be a clean install, which I finally did last night (all other drives and cables except monitor and network disconnected).

No luck. Everything seemed to be going great after the clean install, so I installed Zoom Player Max and my dac's USB driver and played a folder of music. It stopped midway in the first song. And just like before, the player and then XYplorer went nonresponding and had to be shut down via the case. And with that, the frequent hangs on Restart and Startup began again, which up to that moment had disappeared with the clean install. So I uninstalled Zoom Player and the USB driver, to come back and look at it more closely today.

That I did, but this time only installing Zoom Player (i.e., no USB), and this time used the case headphone jack. First, I played an online streaming event and video/audio was fine. Then I went to Zoom Player, but the music again came to a halt after a few songs, with all the above-mentioned symptoms. I then rebooted and tried VLC player. The first time it stopped after 3 seconds, the second time later, 23 secs. And while the program closed, the VLC process wouldn't. In the meantime, XYplorer went nonresponsive and took roughly 5 minutes to close. And one other thing new occurred today: when playing Zoom Player - presumably when it stopped - the Taskbar buttons (left) went blank, literally white, i.e., disconnected from their programs. This happened again with with the first VLC stop, where the buttons stayed with their graphics but went nonfunctional and had to be recreated.

So there it is and I'm at a complete loss. I should make clear that the hangs, e.g., Restarting/Starting, are invoked by the music players crashing, but have a life of their own independent of music. Something is very wrong with the way 1607 is working here. I'd love to go back to 1511 and stay there! Or figure out what's going on with 1607...

Win 10 Pro x64, i7-4790K, ASRock Extreme6 (BIOS current), 32gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 950 SC card, USB audio card (currently unplugged).

Continue reading...

Back