Windows 10 After 1809 update, every dvd drive I connect to my device by SATA port makes it behave weirdly.

• Thread starter Thread starter FranciscoRodríguez Melgar
  • Start date Start date
F

FranciscoRodríguez Melgar

As I said, since the new update, I cannot use a DVD drive properly in this device. The symptoms are these:

-If the drive is connected and the driver is not installed when the computer starts, it starts normally, but the device manager won't open (with any method to open it) and, at some point, the apps and system start to freeze (I suppose they block because some call to the driver/device never ends)

-If the driver is installed, in the moment of restartin' the computer, I can log in normally into Windows, but the desktop or taskbar never show, I only get a cursor in a black screen. Ctrl+win+shift+b makes the beep, but the desktop does not show.

-The only way to go out the state I explained in the last point is disconnecting the dvd drive from the SATA port and, then, and only them, you're able to open taskmanager and restart explorer.exe, then the desktop shows normally.

Now, what have I tried? I tried uninstalling the driver, updating the driver (it's the generic cdrom.sys so it does not do anything). Tried updating and reinstalling graphic driver. I tried several sata dvd drive (3, different models and brands, and all of them work properly in other operating system, but you need to start twice in linux to the drive getting 100 operative, I suppose it's because Windows leaves it in a unstable state). I tried new SATA cords, too, an changing ports. In minimal boot, the system starts always, but device manager never starts by any method, neither. I tried this command, too:

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

I tried removing upper and lower filters in registry (there weren't any).

When the system is started and I connect the DVD drive, I can use it, but, at any time, it blocks de computer anyway. I've made test of writting and reading from the drive, so its state seems to be right.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Continue reading...

Back