Windows 10 After forced update - Windows 10 search index resets, then tries once and then just stops indexing

• Thread starter Thread starter TobiasG.
  • Start date Start date
T

TobiasG.

Hello guys,

it's another Windows Update and another broken essential part. I am getting tired of this horrible excuse of an operating system.

So, after losing an hour of restoring "my" Windows because Microsoft likes to erase Wallpapers and system sounds, I thought I could finally continuing the PC. Everything was kind of alright until today, when suddenly the search engine (Index) did not display any results. First I thought my drives are spun down (that makes the input a bit laggy obviously). But no, nothing. However, when I enter "Windows things", such a "Editor" and installed programs, I get results.

That means, my personal drives (D:\ and E:\) are not indexed. Alright, I went to the SearchIndex thingy in the control panel - ironically by entering Search Index - and saw it was greyed out with the note "The indexer is not running". So I rebooted again and I saw the windows briefly flashing for 5 seconds - it went from "grey and dead" to the usual list of indexed and excluded items. The indexer indexed 2,300 files and then it turned dead again instantly.

How do I fix this problem again? I wish this **** OS would just work once as expected.

Windows 10 Pro (OEM)

20H2

Feature "Experience" Pack (yes, bad experiences as usual)

Continue reading...

Back