Windows 10 After upgrade to Win10 PRO 2004 it fails to create a system image and other odd behaviour

• Thread starter Thread starter JOHNBYERS1
  • Start date Start date
J

JOHNBYERS1

Win10 64 PRO, ASUS Z270AR Mobo, 32GB 3200Mhz ram, i7 KL CPU at 4.2GHz, LQ cooler, 850W PSU, Gfx MSI nVIDEA RTX1080 Ti TRIO 11GB

iTB Samsung nVme 970 PRO SSD, Crucial nVme SSD, 4 x HDD 7200 drives , Msoft kbrd and mouse

Two nights ago my PC auto upgraded to Win10 PRO 2004. Before this it was operating fine with all my softtware Afteru pgrading I checked my app software (video editing) and everything appeared to be working OK, xcept that 2004 seemed a bit slower. than before.

Rather than do a sys image backup over my previous image disk I decided to buy a new drive and keep my previous sys image just in case .

But some strange things happened.in stages as below while installing the new drive.

Stage 1. My new drive was recognised under Disk Management as uninitialised but could not be partitioned/formatted as these were greyed out. {Only item could be accessed was "properties" but Format not available from here now)

.Re booting changed nothing.

I then removed the new drive, installed on my Win8.1 PRO PC where it was parted and formatted as usual without problem.

Re installed in Win10 where it was now recognised as ready to use.

(It did report it needed to be chkdisk'd , which was done.....I have noticed that disks formatted in Win8.1 give a chkdsk error when used in a Win7PRO or Win10 PC....this seems to be a normal thing over the years)

Stage 2. Making a sys image on the newly formatted drive:

The correct parameters were set up and it started.....but failed "Cant make sys image ..failure to prepare the back up image of the volumes of the back up

ERRORS 0x 807800C5 and 0x 8004245E

This was done,but again the same messages were repeated.

The sys image could not not made

Stage 3. Check on Win10 files using sfc /SCANDISK

this failed with message "There is a System Repair Pending which requires a Reboot Restart"

But when restarted get the same message again..its an infinite loop.

Stage 4 I checked on Update to see if there was a s/ware correction from Msoft.

It stated no updates available BUT message said "
Cleaning up" restarted PC and screen massage "Cleaning Up please wait"

Stage 4 After this completed and rebooted I foud sfc and formatting were now available and working

sfc/ SCANNOW reported no errors

Stage 5 Ths should have resolved the sys image backup ??? NO !!!

This STILL cannot be made "failure to prepare.............as before but this time with No hex errors reported

CONCLUSION: I cannot make a system image back up under Win10 2004.

This is needed as one of my video edit apps allows only a single re installation,then you have to buy another license.

Under the old version I had no problems with any of the above.

Should I go back to a previous restore point and forget about 2004 ???

many reports about 2004 issues on the web , but I thought they would have been resolved by now (my install date 13/08/2020)

Another issue: some of my installed software (utilities) are no longer available , but appear to be hidden as attempts to re install tell me they are already installed, but are not accessible

Anyone else having such issues with 2004 ??

John

n

Continue reading...

Back