Windows 7 ALL OF A SUDDEN MY COMPUTER IS NOT BOOTING AND I AM PISSED.

• Thread starter Thread starter Alexandria Frandsen
  • Start date Start date
A

Alexandria Frandsen

I have an eMachines e725. It's up there in years tech wise, my mom got it about 8 years ago. But we've kept the drivers updated and done needed maintenance, taking it to a small repair shop to have it checked up on every other year or so. Works like a charm!
My mother gave me this laptop around Thanksgiving. I use it for gaming as well as assignments for college. I don't run anything too rough on it, the newest game I have installed is Portal, which is maybe 10 years old?
Well, Monday night, I went to take a break and decided to play the Sims 2. The Sims 2 works perfectly on this laptop, doesn't trouble it at all. However, this time the entire thing froze. I tried CTRL-ALT-DELETE, nothing. So I turned it off via the power button. I powered it back on, nothing. It powers up to the eMachines logo with an f2 setup option, however, there is a BIOS password that no one remembers, so that's out. That's the only button that pops up. Them it goes to a black screen with no cursor. The fan and hard drive are still running, all the appropriate lights are on as they should be...it's just a blank, black screen. And the only way out of it is to press the power button. And then it flashes a green screen before it shuts off, which concerns me but I'm sure is nothing bad. It's a quoick flash before it turns off. I KNOW the display works fine. If it didn't it wouldn't be able to display the logo, would it?

My concern is that I could have a particularly nasty virus on it. My mom had Norton Antivirus running on it for years but the contract expired and I, being a poor college student, can't afford to renew it. So therefore I've kept a close eye on the task manager and my systemx86 folder for anything suspicious. I'm not am expert oioin those matters, but I did some looking around to see what I needed to keep an eye on, researching the names of files and applications that I was concerned about.

And then over the holidays my sister was using my laptop and got onto firedrop.com which from what I understand is a very virus-infested site. She downloaded a few things but I deleted those files. However I'm sure I've missed a few, and I'm concerned that one may have um...ruined my computer. There have been a few viruses scurrying around but I've contained most of them.

I've thought that the computer itself has been acting a lot like it needs to have Windows 7 reinstalled on it--recently my grandfather had to do the same with his laptop and it acted in a similar matter, thiugh it is a 5 year old HP laptop. I have decided not to update to Windows 10 until updates and support for Windows 7 ends, I'm quite comfortable where I'm at OS-wise. Fortunately, I have a CD on its way. I just want to verify that I'm on the right track. Is there anything I might be forgetting or missing?

Continue reading...

Back