Windows 7 Android device not connecting to PC over USB in MTP mode for Windows 7 Professional

• Thread starter Thread starter JAMZ_NZ
  • Start date Start date
J

JAMZ_NZ

Hi,

Both of my Samsung Galaxy mobile phones are now unable to connect to either my Samsung Netbook or Lenovo laptop (Windows 7 Professional) for file transfer. This happened after I downloaded the latest updates for AVG antivirus free onto both both Netbook and Lenovo laptop a few days ago. [I have uninstalled and removed AVG antivirus free, but the problem continues.] I see that this problem has been discussed frequently over the past few years on various forums. None of the suggested fixes in these forums has worked for me.

Symptoms:

The mobile (phone) devices are charging, but Windows does not recognize them as file storage devices: "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." While attempting to sort this out, Windows has initially recognized the devices on a few occasions, allowed the files to be viewed, then suddenly disconnected - this takes only a few seconds.

Prior to downloading the updates last week, both mobile devices have connected to both computers for many years without problems.

Actions to-date:

1) attempted to uninstall, re-install and update the driver through Device Manager (Universal Serial Bus controllers):

The driver is listed as "Unknown Device" version 6.1.7601.23933 (dated 21/06/2006). Windows responds that "The best driver software for you device is already installed ... the driver software for your device is up to date". There are no other drivers listed as being compatible. The option for "Roll Back Driver" is greyed out.

2) attempted to re-install wpdmtp.inf (which I understand to be the MTP driver), this action was not permitted:

(C:\Windows\INF Locate the file 'wpdmtp.inf', right-click on that file and select Install

)

Question:

What is going on?

How do I fix it, please?

Many thanks,

JAMZ

Continue reading...

Back