Antivirus vendors should be held accountable for their false-positives and the impacts

• Thread starter Thread starter GefiveK
  • Start date Start date
G

GefiveK

Hello,

I have tried to create windows desktop application in both .NET 4 and .NET 5 using visual studio and sharpdevelop, but even with a new form, the debug exe is always detected as a Trojan by antivirus software like Bitdefender. I wrote on their forums yesterday but till now no reply. Our business software will have to endure a massive loss of reputation from such high degree of false-positives, on applications that don't even have anything inside them.

Here is the forum post on Bitdefender forums with no help. Other people in the have been having this isssue and I have tried every solution that I can find online, but the problem persists. In .NET 4 applications, Bitdefender detects the exe as a Trojan and in .NET 5 applications, the DLL is detected as a Trojan.

Bitdefender Antivirus: Problems with Windows Applications created through Visual Studio — The Bitdefender Expert Community

Bitdefender is a great software, but detection of a single form application with nothing inside it is some serious flaw in their heuristics or their training is messed up to a very high level. These antivirus companies fail to understand the serious loss of business their "oh we are sorry for our false-positive detection" can cause a small business. Who is responsible for the loss? Will any of the antivirus vendors pay or buy our loosing business?

How can any antivirus product be trusted by anyone when they themselves are affected by malware? In 2015 dozens of Kaspersky servers were affected by Duqu malware, then same that spied on Iran. Microsoft and others were affected by solarwinds. Bitdefender is **** with their highest degree of false-positives. What is happening? Who can help the software developers facing these issues?

Continue reading...

Back