Windows 10 Are there any known incompatibilities between Win10 build 2004 and USB audio interfaces?

• Thread starter Thread starter dales69
  • Start date Start date
D

dales69

I'm a keyboard player that has used a laptop thru a Focusrite Scarlett 6I6 USB interface with no problems for several years. On July 4th, on my way outside to do some work, I turned on my laptop so it would be on when I came back. Later when I got back, there was the "we updated your computer, here are your new features" screen (Win10, version 2004, build 19041.388). Once I loaded my music software so I could practice for the gig the following day, the sound was very distorted and unusable. Luckily I had enough older analog keyboards and modules to put together a setup to play the gig, but it was very frustrating.

I've talked with support at Focusrite, downloaded the latest drivers, and we can't solve it. The program I use to play mp3's from the laptop (winamp) works fine, so I don't think it's the audio drivers.

I bought a Motu4 USB audio interface, thinking the Focusrite driver (which is proprietary, might not be compatible with build 2004), and Motu's driver doesn't work any better.

I've also tried a generic driver - ASIO4ALL - and it doesn't work either. All 3 drivers are ASIO drivers.

The main thing in common between the interfaces are the fact that they are USB and use ASIO type drivers.

Looking at the USB drivers on the laptop, there is one that was dated 6/2/2020 - Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller -0.96, driver vers. 10.0.19041.329, winbuild 160101.0800.

Looking at "events" for this driver, I see:

7/22/2020 11:00:35 am Device configured (oem8.inf)

7/22/2020 11:00:35 am Device not started (nusb3xhc)

7/22/2020 11:53:00 am Device configured (usbxhci.inf)

7/22/2020 11:53:00 am Device not started (usbxhci)

Windows has been rolled back to the prior version, and it didn't help (and just upgraded again the next time the computer was on).

I guess my questions would be - Is there a different driver that might fix this, and does anybody know anything else that I could check that might help?

Thanks

Dale

Continue reading...

Back