Windows 10 Assigning an Application to run on a specific Dedicated GPU when multiple Dedicated GPUs are used

• Thread starter Thread starter IDORJANI
  • Start date Start date
I

IDORJANI

Hello All,

I have tried to do some research on this topic but have only come out to dead ends and it seems like the function that is built into nvidia control panel is somehow overridden by windows.

Lets explain:

First my PC specs:

Ryzen 2700x (No integrated GPU)

Nvidia RTX 2080 ti (Connected to a 1440p 144hz monitor with Display Port)

Nvidia GTX 1650 (Connect to 1080p 60hs monitor with HDMI)

Windows 10 Home

The rest of the build is useless info.

Basically i want to have my 2080ti dedicated for gaming AND / OR apps that i will use when im not gaming. However i would like the 1650 to run applications while i am gaming. Examples of such applications i want the 1650 to run are Xbox Console Companion, Google Chrome, Slack, Discord, spotify, OBS studio, general apps you might use for gaming that have hardware acceleration. In OBS studio, there is a setting which i can use to identify the GPU i wish to use for encoding. Which works really well, that is the only application i can get to successfully run on the GPU i want it to

Of course i have the ability to disable hardware acceleration on SOME apps, but that just ofsets the load onto the CPU which i still would like to use for gaming still lol.

Now, i have tried multiple ways of accomplishing this.

Method 1: Use Nvidia control panel to identify Cuda Processor for Global AND Each application.
Results: Windows uses whichever GPU it pleases (always main GPU or GPU0)

Method 2: Use windows Advanced Graphics settings to choose GPU for Universal and Classic apps
Results: Windows does not display 1650 as a "energy saving gpu" or at all for that matter, only options are 2080ti.

Method 3: Set Main monitor to a 1080p monitor that is displaying off of the 1650.
Results: All applications now automatically run on GTX 1650. I can set my games to use a specific graphics card and i select the 2080ti. Great! right? Nope, the 2080ti is locked at a lower clock than stock ALL the time, like 1300mhz or something. Overclocking does not change anything. 1650 overclocks and works normally.

So after all my research and strife i have a few questions.

Q1: Is Windows in fact overriding the Nvidia application settings? If so, i wonder if there is a way to prevent that.

Q2: Is it possible to change a value in the registery which can trick windows into thinking the secondary Dedicated gpu is a "power saving GPU". Even if it is not tricking it into thinking its a lower power gpu. Maybe having it think its an Igpu model or something or the sort.

Q3: Could the problem be a permissions conflict that blocks Nvidia Control panel from deciding the GPU to run the application on?

Im not sure to a solution. I feel like if the Nvidia panel allows you to select which applications run on which GPU it should just....work.... Im sure it worked in Windows 7 because i do not recall ever having to dig through this problem. It would be nice to have a processor crunch some numbers rather than let the big brother do all the work while it just takes up space.

Your thoughts and answered are greatly appreciated (been working on this for 4 months now)

Continue reading...

Back