Windows 10 Association File GPO Not Working

• Thread starter Thread starter GiovanniOtto
  • Start date Start date
G

GiovanniOtto

Good day,

I would like to apply Microsoft Edge and Outlook to be the default apps to all the computers in the organisation. All the computers are running Windows 10 1809/1909. I have used the DISM command (dism.exe /online /export-defaultappassociations:c:\temp\customassoc.xml) to export the association file and removed everything out but the Edge and Outlook settings. I have set the GPO Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<DefaultAssociations>

<Association Identifier="http" ProgId="MSEdgeHTM" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" />

<Association Identifier="https" ProgId="MSEdgeHTM" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" />

<Association Identifier="htm" ProgId="MSEdgeHTM" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" />

<Association Identifier="html" ProgId="MSEdgeHTM" ApplicationName="Microsoft Edge" />

<Association Identifier="mailto" ProgId="Outlook.URL.mailto.15" ApplicationName="Outlook" />

</DefaultAssociations>

On the network at the office the settings apply perfectly I can reset the defaults apps and sign out and in again and it's changed back to Edge and Outlook. I can set Outlook to Edge and the browser to Chrome and sign out and in again and they are changed back correctly. When trying to apply the settings to a computer that is remote and connected to our VPN the settings do not apply. When running a gpresult I can see that the GPO is applying but it does not change/update the default apps for email and web browser. There are no error or warning logs in event viewer. I can run a gpupdate /force restart and nothing is changed. i have tested it on multiple users working from home and defaults are not set. Also note once you are logged into the computer then only do we connect the VPN.

Is there anything I am missing or something else i can try?

Regards

Giovanni

Continue reading...

Back