Windows 10 Audio displays red "X" and error message "No Output Audio Device is installed"

• Thread starter Thread starter Scv_000
  • Start date Start date
S

Scv_000

My computer suddenly stopped playing audio over the course of one night. I had not downloaded anything new, nor uninstalled anything. No changes had been made to my computer which would cause this. The audio icon in the bottom right corner displays a red circle with a white "X" in the center, and when the cursor hovers over it it shows the message "No Output Audio Device is installed."

Clicking the icon launches the audio troubleshooter, which either cannot identify the issue or instructs to restart the PC so that the fix can be applied. After restarting, nothing has changed, and the process restarts.

I have tried using headphones, which also do not work, and connecting to a Bluetooth Speaker, which does allow for audio to be played. So, headphones and the computer's speakers do not work, but Bluetooth does work.

I have tried following the troubleshooter's instructions and restarting, updating my computer restarting, updating the audio drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling the audio drivers, restarting audio services, and completely reinstalling Windows 10 in case something got corrupted. I've gone through all of the steps listed on the page "Fix Sound Problems in Windows 10" and searched through other questions with no result.

As of posting, I have completely updated my PC and restarted it, and run the troubleshooter once again with no success to eliminate any easy fixes. Everything is up to date, and I have not installed any drivers or software to edit the audio of my computer which did not come with the PC at purchase. I'm at a loss.

Thank you for your time.

Continue reading...