Windows 10 Black screen after 1/25/19 Insider update (fast ring)

• Thread starter Thread starter BlueMoon1890
  • Start date Start date
B

BlueMoon1890

I've been a Windows Insider for a few years, and the latest Fast ring update seems to have broken my computer. From the moment I push the power button to the problem, it goes loke this:

I turn my computer on

I see the Dell logo (my motherboard was salvagrd from a Dell precision)

I see the Intel RAID information for my 500 GB Crucial SSD and 500 GB Western Digital hard disk combination

I see the Windows logo and loading circle

The screen stays black indefinitely

There seems to be something going on behind the scenes, because my RAZR keyboard loads the custom lighting preset I created, and reacts to keypresses (although extremely slowly)

This happened after applying today's Insider update, and restarting once it was completed (I always do to "clean out" everything the update left behind, although it's probably just for peace of mind)

I've tried all the usual shortcuts (CTRL + ALT + DEL, CTRL + Shift + ESC, pressing Shift + F8 during boot, pressing F5 during boot, and a few others that I desperately tried at random), but it was all to no avail. I wanted to boot into the recovery menu, where i could roll back the update to the last stable version. My only hope was that I could possibly blindly navigate to the restart button and hold shift to initiate the recovery boot, but after a few tries and what im sure resulted in misplaced desktop icons, I gave up.

My only guess as to what could be wrong is some sort of video compatibility issue, although I did just upgrade to an MSI 1050 Ti. I'd really prefer not to reinstall Windows, as I have a fairly large movie collection for my Plex server, with no backup.

As to be expected Microsoft support did jack squat and directed me to this website. Any help is appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back