Windows 10 Black Screen and Flashing Task Bar

• Thread starter Thread starter FaTaL Mercenery
  • Start date Start date
F

FaTaL Mercenery

I have seen a few other posts about this but nothing that I have seen has helped, or at least not lasted long. So starting two days ago(December 12), when I turned my computer on it took an unusually long time to boot, but I finally reached the lock screen to input my password. After doing so, it unlocked and all I could see on both of my monitors was a black desktop with no icons and a flashing taskbar. The mouse had the loading symbol with it and clicking the windows home button in the bottom left corner did nothing. I was able to open task manager via pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete, but not much else. I was also able to log out when doing Ctrl+Alt+Delete, which is where this gets a little interesting. After logging out and then reinputting my password, it loads to my desktop perfectly fine, albeit after a longer than normal amount of time.

The problem is that I had to do this every single time, and I don't know if there is a bigger underlying issue. Even more interesting, I tried to isolate the issue, and so I disconnected all drives except my boot drive(C drive) and it booted perfectly fine. I reconnected my 2TB internal HDD(D drive), still booted fine. I then reconnected my 2TB M.2 drive(E drive) and the problem occurred again.

The thing I tried and got to work had me turn off, unplug, press the power button several times(or hold), replug in, and power on. After this, it booted fine and ran the rest of the day fine. The next day, booted no problem. Today, two days after the initial problem, it has come back. I tried the whole cycle which I just explained to clear the CMOS battery, but this time it did not work.

My only real ideas of what it could be are something on my E drive got corrupted, but I don't know why it would cause something like this. I would really hate to format the drive as that would probably take a full day to reinstall a lot of things. The other idea is that I have been noticing some things here and there ever since I upgraded to new monitors, such as my computer randomly restarting, meaning screens go black and my computer goes through a reboot cycle. I went from two 21.5" 1920x1080 70Hz Acer monitors to two Gigabyte G27Q monitors(27" 2560x1440 144Hz). I think that's a coincidence, but if anyone can say that might be the cause, I'd be interested to know.

I have downloaded all windows updates, all drivers say they are up to date. I even tried uninstalling my GPU and it's drivers and reinstalling the, no improvement. I did this cause some suggestions led me to believe it could be something with GPU drivers, and AMD Radeon Software(Wattman) won't launch and gives the reasoning "Radeon Software and Driver versions do not match. Please try again after updating to the latest version(s)." This makes no sense to me, considering I go to Gigabyte's support page and the most recent driver listed is from 2018.

Technical specs, if applicable:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - NZXT Kraken x72

MSI X570-A PRO

Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 64 OC Edition

32GB G.Skill Trident.z RGB 3200MHz CL16

250GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2TB Samsung 970Evo Plus, 2TB Seagate HDD

Corsair RM850x 80+ Gold

Windows 10 Education

Whatever advice anyone can give, I would very much appreciate it as this is very annoying.

Update: After posting this, I decided to reboot just for the heck of it and it booted fine, but I am leaving this up incase it happens again or if people answers and someone else has a similar problem.

Continue reading...

Back