Black screen at start-up as Windows 7 tries to load after a recent Windows update and new software i

AWS

Asus K60IJ  64bit op sys
Intel Premium Dualcore
Intel Graphics Media Accelorator (GMA) 4500m
Google Chrome Browser

Help! I messed up my daughters notebook and she needs it back asap! I can’t seem to find a support forum for Asus K60ij, and since I’m not sure if problem was caused by a windows update or the Sketch-Up 8 software that I installed, I figured I’d try posting
here...hopefully I chose the best topic to post under.
 (If anyone knows where I can find a good Asus notebook forum, please share. Calling them wasn’t much help. Below were my notes as I tried to research problem on my own. I got busy and haven't even powered it up in the past few weeks so it's just been sitting
plugged in.

11/25/12  I installed Sketch-up 8 (Version 3.0.15158, which is apparently no longer by Google, but now Trimble Navigation Limited?) …shut down, then took notebook to work to use it offline since I don’t have internet access there. The notebook & Sketchup
started up fine there & I used the software without any problems, then shut down & brought it home. Black Screen at first start-up.   The Windows Welcome screen comes up, then cursor, spinning circle..loading chimes play, then stays black and nothing. Called
Asus & described problem and guy said need new screen without actually doing any diagnostics or troubleshooting…took to a local computer shop & guy hooked up to external monitor (which worked) so said same thing without really considering anything else.
Am I the only one who doubts this is the problem and that it’s not just a coincidence this happened day after new software was installed? (I guess that it is possible, since laptop is placed vertically in my laptop bag and that setting it down could have
loosened something but I don’t want to mess with taking it apart and checking that unless all else fails and sure don’t want to spend over $100 for a new screen without checking every other potential problem first). Seems to me if the screen was broken, then
I wouldn’t see the Windows logo or cursor either.
I read that the black screen at login is usually caused by a service that starts at login, timing out waiting for something to happen. That sounds more like what is happening to me.

12/5/12  I hooked up external monitor and uninstalled Sketchup. (later read somewhere about compatibility between Sketchup & Windows 7 that need to make sure “Open GL 1.5 or higher compatible driver for video card??)  I failed to take any such precautions 
: (    I do recall about a week before I installed Sketchup, I had a “”windows has recovered from unexpected shutdown” msg but thought it was due to low battery issue she had been having). While troubleshooting with different monitor, I also noticed there
was an MS update on 11/27. That was 2 days after installing sketchup, but it could have happened in between shutting down after using software, and re-starting at home then next day when I first had the problem. Read another forum that said others had
this problem after the Nov 30th update,  others mention graphics driver possibly being incompatible with the software??)

I ran “Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool” while still on external monitor. When scan was complete, it took long time to restart but then got “Windows Memory Diagnostic” pop up with yellow exclamation point in triangle saying “Memory Problems can cause your
computer to lose information or stop working. To identify and repair the problem, contact the computer manufacturer.  – It had a link that said “troubleshoot memory problem” but when I clicked it, it just took me back to the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
that I just ran. (I should mention that I do recall a pop-up a week or so before installing sketchup saying possible memory problem detected but thought related to low battery warning since she’s been having that for awhile now)…..Maybe sketchup wasn’t the
problem but still seems like too much of a coincidence?

12/8 Got a blue screen and shut down while on external monitor …Contacted Asus support again. At first the girl led me to a download page for the K60ij and had me download the wrong thing, but I caught it her mistake, then she had me update graphics driver
–it didn’t help, so she too said $180 to send in and have them replace LCD. (Girl didn’t seem like she knew what she was doing…She didn’t look at or ask about any of the error reports or diagnostics…she just kept putting me on hold (prob to ask ?s) and finally
had me update to the latest graphics drivers.

I’ve considered trying to just roll back to a restore point a day or 2 before the Sketchup was installed, but wasn’t sure if all updates will automatically take place again after doing that and if it was really the windows update that caused this, then I
still really won’t know. Just want a little guidance as I start trying things like that.
The Asus site also says it has a recovery partition “on selected models”, but with no forum to ask questions as I go, I’m afraid to try that too.

I feel horrible that I messed up my daughters notebook and now she needs it for her college classes asap so really hope someone can help or at least point me to a good Asus forum that can. Preferably one where I can copy and paste the event viewer or diagnostics
to narrow down the problem vs. just guessing and trying to do things that can’t be undone.

Sorry that was so long, but hope it was helpful!

View this thread

Back