Windows 10 Black Screen, Continuous Reboot, Unsuccessful BCD Rebuilds and Boot-fixes, Interrupted Recovery, Unsuccessful Restore And Every "Fix" Makes Things Wor

• Thread starter Thread starter Joanna Ward72
  • Start date Start date
J

Joanna Ward72

My adventures in trying to fix my computer started when I stupidly started messing around with my GPU settings. It's an AMD 560. It gave me a black screen so I check the forums on the AMD site and got my answer. Can't uninstall driver/amd software in safe mod... | Community I uninstalled the graphics card, and followed all the directions. I then installed an earlier version of the drive with the same black screen issue. The problem was that the GPU had changed from HDMI to AVG Standard without setting pixel count. I was able to get my system to recognize the window graphics car by entering Safe Mode to uninstall the AMD graphics card. I couldn't use programs like Daz Studio because the graphics card was ****. So I went to safe mode to recover my computer back to before I installed the driver to troubleshoot some more. All was working fine until my system did a restart to finish the recovery, and there was that black screen. In frustration, and without thinking that I was in the middle of a recovery, I held the power button and shut off my computer. UGH! So stupid! I hooked up another monitor as was suggested I do so that I had two monitors going. The new monitor is DVI. This is where I descended into the rabbit hole of insanity that finally brings me here to ask for help.

I restarted and I got the blue screen saying my computer was having problems. It did the standard reboot cycle until I saw what the issue was. At this point I did not understand completely the USB bootable drive completely. If I had, I might not be here right now. But I read this and skipped it because I didn't understand exactly what it meant. restarting an interrupted install and computer won't fully reboot

Because I got this message:

I did what was in this link: Automatic repair couldn’t repair your PC

I got this message:

Seeing that things were "fixed," I restarted. It didn't boot windows so back in WinRe, I thought I'd try the restore point again. HA! No. The error there said that "you must enable system protection on this drive." By this time, I'd read how to make a bootable disk and not only got a USB but also a portable 1TB disk and made a bootable disk. I had two issues at this point. Rebuildbcd showed 0 windows installations as well as enable system protection on the drive. I found these links and followed the directions in this order WITHOUT doing a restart before trying to restore. Total identified Windows installations: 0

Fixed You Must Enable System Protection on This Drive Win10/8/7! Admittedly, I didn't follow everything on this last site. I had at this point been working on this off and on for 3 days. I went on to fix other issues that arose and forgot about this site. Nowhere did it say that each time you restarted, the BIOS would revert back to the hard drive and not stay on the removable device. So I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why I couldn't get back to the bootable disk. I probably wasted an entire day just working on that! Which, for those who run into the same problem as I, is simply fixed by pressing whichever F key is indicated on the startup menu on the initial boot screen. For my Windows 10 version, it was F8. I had to hit it several times before another window popped up to show the hard drive and the bootable disk. I chose the bootable disk and it sent me straight to it to bring up the install window. You have to do this EVERY time you want to restart with the bootable disk. The BIOS boot order will stay the same, and you WILL have to change those back manually.

Moving on. Having gotten the restore point back, I set the computer on its way to do its thing. When I came back, it had stopped with this message:

I don't have another restore point. I got no good information on how to turn off Windows Defender from a computer where only CMD works. I found this :How To Fix Windows 10 System Restore & Update Error Code 0x80070002 - ErrorsDoc It at least told me what the problem was.

So at this point, I've done rebuildbcd, fixmfr, bootfix, sfc scan, and other cmd inputs that I don't know whether to wind my butt or scratch my watch. Reset PC with saving my files doesn't work now. Windows 10 isn't even showing up as an option for me anymore. It's all still there. I checked when I went to copy files from my hard drive in case I have to do a clean install. This video helped me do that.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwK4Zkp0AQM

My machine is a CyberpowerPC with Windows 10 running, or not running, on it. I installed the latest updates before all this happened, and after I got the first error, I uninstalled the upgrades while in WinRE. All the changes I did before the restore fiasco were done in Safe Mode with network. It's been almost a week that I've been doing this. I need help before I accidentally blow up my computer from blindly tinkering around. There has to be a way to get the system back and running without a clean install.

Continue reading...

Back