Windows 10 Blue Screen After Changing msconfig boot-settings.

• Thread starter Thread starter F11Button
  • Start date Start date
F

F11Button

Blue screen with its sad face :( is one of the most frustrating things one might see when they try to restart Windows system after having

changed the boot settings on the boot tab in msconfig application. This issue may raise a legitimate question as to why would there be settings that only ruin your Windows up-booting? In theory, changing the aforementioned settings applies the settings that you suit your preferences, and works fine. However, there is a a reason for why clicking that "Apply" button might be an option into a long-term, out-branching trouble.

Using cCleaner to remove unnecessary files is a good way to maintain your computer's performance, but cCleaner also removes

some system files that store your system settings; specifically, those settings that, to be fully applied, require an OS-restart. Removing these files (such as the BCD file) right after changing the msconfig's boot settings and before attempting an OS-restart will cause a boot-up failure due to bad boot configuration that confuses Windows.*

In solving this problem, I would like to mention that I have faced this problem many times, and I had lose all my files, settings, and apps after reinstalling Windows. Now, the solution I came across is almost the only way to just easily fix the problem without having to lose your files, settings, or software; you don't even need to do a system restore.

Here is how I solved this problem (please note that you are following these steps at your own risk):

Beware that the advised steps in this solution assume that all PC and drivers are recognisible by the Macrium Reflect, and that you are using Windows 10. Therefore, different settings/choices/steps may be required for different OSs/devices/drivers ... etc.

1- Have an empty USB memory & plug it; (4GB is fine; you will use only 628MB).
2- Have another PC, let's call it "PC (B)."
3- Download & install Macrium Reflect on PC (B).
4- Open Macrium Reflect.
5- On the upper-left corner, there is a CD icon called "Create a Bootable Rescue Media," click it.

6- Follow the steps in the dialogue box (just use the default and recommended settings; don't change anything).

7- Now, Macrium will create a portable rescue envirnment then asks you to choose a destination.

8- Choose your empty USB memory as a destination.

9- Click "Finish" to send the Rescue Media to your USB memory.

Stage 2:

10- Take your USB memory to your broken computer.
11- Boot your broken computer from your USB memory (different PCs have different ways of booting from a USB).
12- An unusual screen will show, don't worry, Macrium Reflect will start in a minute.

13- In Macrium Reflect window, choose the tab titled "Restore".

14- From this tab choose "Fix Windows boot problems."

15- A dialogue box will show, choose the partition/disk that has the system on it (Usually C).

16- Click "Next" then "Finish", then "Yes."

17- Macrium Reflect will do the rest, and your PC will reboot. If you get the blue screen again, shut your PC down and reboot. If you still get the bluescreen, reboot from the rescue media and follow the same steps in stage 2. it usually works the second time.

It's so wonderful to see the log-in screen again, isn't it? Congratulations.

Note that some times, rebboting fails even without using cCleaner.*

Insight for Developers:

Windows 10, 16 GB RAM, 950 GB SSD drive, i7 2.4 GHz, HP DV7.

Windows 10, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB PCI drive, i5 1.6 GHz, Lenovo Yoga 2 11 inch.

Continue reading...

Back