Windows 10 Blue screen after clean install of windows 10 - Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart

• Thread starter Thread starter nick t._
  • Start date Start date
N

nick t._

I'm starting to wonder if I've angered the technology gods or something.. Sorry in advance for the novel. I want to give as much info as I possibly can on this so you know exactly where I'm at.

1) how this fiasco started: I have a loaded up PC that I built to handle gaming and also handle the workload of making my own indie games (especially the 3D animation and asset building). I bought it back in 2010 but the specs still hold up today (intel core i7, 2 terabyte hard drive, geforce gtx 660 ti, 4 slots for memory sticks that I used to be pretty neurotic about updating often, but haven't in a while, still tons of RAM etc), and I'm very adamant about keeping all parts clean.

There should be no reason what so ever that it should ever lag on the desktop, but thats exactly what it started doing. It started with games and 3D animation software slowing down in response time, despite there being no lag at all, it just took sometimes up to 3-5 minutes to respond to clicks and commands. Before long, the random reboots started happening. Then the random reboots started happening a LOT. At first when I'd play games, then with the 3D animation software, then just during whatever after about 15-20 minutes, then every 5-10 minutes, etc... Eventually the reboots and shut downs started taking about 10-15 minutes to complete... before I started randomly getting "no operating system found" errors on and off... And I started noticing the lag in response to the clicks and commands weren't just in games and the work software, it actually took me 7 minutes to open up file explorer... My beast of a machine that I built to handle just about anything had officially become unusable... I checked the hardware, and nothing was wrong. Everything was running at normal capacity as it always did. So the only issue I could think that might have happened was a virus or corrupted software.

2) what I've tried so far: I decided to do a clean install of windows 10, wipe everything out, and start fresh. It fought me tooth and nail with every error under the sun when I used the store bought windows 10 flash drive, and even with the media creation tool. I'm not sure which of the two finally stuck, but I made it back to desktop, fresh machine, the lag was 100% gone, I figured everything was good. I loaded up one game that I know can push my PC a bit, thinking "if it can handle this like it used to then I'm back in business". It was literally the only thing loaded onto this computer other than windows 10 (up to date on all updates) and nvidea graphics driver (also up to date).

The game began to load in, I'm thinking everything is groovy.... then came the blue screen "Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart". No error code. Thankfully boot time went back to about 30 seconds so it wasn't as much of an ordeal compared to the reboots before the clean install. I tried it again, same thing, but this time it was immediately after clicking open the game. But when I let it reboot, the boot up sequence just froze on the black screen with the blinking cursor in the upper left. I restarted the computer, this time it loaded in just fine in 30 seconds... but 30 seconds longer and I get blue screened in the same way yet again, this time while just sitting at the desktop with nothing opened... And this is where I'm at currently. I just finished checking to make sure everything inside is connected firmly, but when I booted up this time it only lasted about 10 seconds after the desktop appeared before the same error.

I'm at a loss here. There shouldn't be anything wrong. Everything is clean, everything is connected, I've got all my drivers, updates at current, there are no additional programs to cause problems, it's only been about 2 hours since the clean install so there shouldn't be any viruses, everything is literally in as perfect of condition as I can possibly get it to the best of my knowledge. But the "Your device ran into a problem" errors are still happening pretty consistently at the 10 second mark after loading to the desktop now. For the love of the technology gods, someone please help me figure this out so I can get back to work :/ I'm running out of hair to pull out.

Continue reading...

Back