Windows 7 Blue Screen - how do I identify device causing crash?

• Thread starter Thread starter HaHooHum
  • Start date Start date
H

HaHooHum

Hi

I've got a problem with a servers that crashes on an occasional basis. I'm a bit stumped as to what the root cause is.

I've collected the minidumps and the MEMORY.DMP file and had a look at them in BlueScreenView

The dumps show me that the crash was caused by the kernel (ntoskrnl.exe)

Sometimes it's a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE and other times it's a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

I think it's a driver conflict but I'm not sure how to narrow down where the problem is.

I've looked in event viewer and there are a few clues:

This server is used for video capture; it has an SDI video capture card and is connected to an Ethernet SAN. I think that the problem might be the SAN driver because I get lots of iSCSI errors in event viewer before the crash. the problem is if I disconnect the SAN connection, or remove the video card then it's a bit pointless as I can't use it for the intended purpose.

Because the crashes are intermittent it's hard to say that removing one component has resolved the problem.

I can upload crash dumps and msinfo details if that is helpful.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model RS400-E8-PS2
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2640 v3 @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2640 v3 @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 3104, 15/01/2016
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 28.1 GB
Total Virtual Memory 63.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 59.8 GB
Page File Space 31.9 GB

Just looking for some pointers for where to look really.

Regards

Continue reading...

Back