Windows 10 Bluetooth hardware has become invisible for the third time in a month on two different computers

• Thread starter Thread starter Eos Maelor
  • Start date Start date
E

Eos Maelor

Having had the same thing happen three times in a month on two different computers, I suspect that there must be something more profound going on...

About a month ago my Bluetooth devices on my main desktop PC suddenly stopped working. On investigation, I noticed that in fact my Bluetooth card had completely disappeared from my device list; I couldn't do a driver update because there was no device present. Downloading the driver from Intel's website and installing it manually made no difference. The Windows troubleshooter was adamant that no Bluetooth hardware was installed on the machine. In the end I just bought a brand new Intel AC7260 card and installed it, and the problem went away.

Earlier this week I had a related problem on my Surface Pro 3. Suddenly the built-in keyboard stopped working. Thinking it was probably a hardware fault, I tried to install my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on it, only to find that now my Surface Pro also thought that there was no Bluetooth hardware installed. However, when I plugged the Surface Pro into its dock, the problem immediately righted itself and both keyboard and Bluetooth functionality returned.

This evening I was working on my desktop PC again when a system tray message popped up to say that a USB device had stopped working. Immediately afterwards, I noticed that I'd lost Bluetooth yet again, and on running the same investigations as last time it seems that, once again, Troubleshooter is adamant that I have no Bluetooth hardware installed.

If I hadn't had the problem on my Surface Pro as well I'd just think that something in my desktop's hardware was causing repeated AC7260 failures, but I now think it's more likely that this is a software problem. However, how would I go about troubleshooting it? Why would a Bluetooth failure be reported by the system as a USB device problem (when my USB device is an integrated board, not a dongle)? And what's the desktop PC equivalent of plugging a Surface Pro into its dock, in case that were to be the solution to this problem as well?

Continue reading...