Windows 10 Bluetooth Mice Dropping Out After July Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter TurnerTomlinson
  • Start date Start date
T

TurnerTomlinson

I'm experiencing issues with bluetooth mice on my surface laptop. Specs, symptoms, and troubleshooting I've performed so far are below.

• Specs
    • Laptop: grey surface 15", Ryzen 5 355U, 8GB Ram
    • OS: Windows 10 Home with current build: 19041.388 installed 7/25/20
    • Mice that I'm using
      • Surface Arc, grey, purchased new about 3 mo ago
      • Logitech MX Anywhere 2
  • Symptoms
    • First noticed this in July. I keep my computer up to date, so it could have been an update that caused it, but can't confirm correlation here
    • Neither mice had any problems before Jul '20
    • Both mice will drop out at the same time if both are connected (so this makes it seem like it's a computer-side issue, otherwise the mice have a synchronized fail state which seems really unlikely)
    • When the mouse connection drops, it seems to always last ~11/12 seconds. It never just blinks out - the courser on the screen stops responding for 11/12 seconds.
    • The dropping out doesn't seem to be at regular intervals, sometimes it happens a few times in a minute, other times it might be fine for 5 or 10 minutes, then reccur.
    • There is no bad behavior with bluetooth headphones - no dropping out or anything at all, so it's not the bluetooth going FULLY out, it's something about the bluetooth and computer and mice working together
    • I was able to open the bluetooth pairing menu fast enough to catch the issue this am - while putting these notes together - and saw that the MX Anywhere 2 said "paired" on that screen while the mouse was not working, and then as soon as the mouse started responding again this changed to "connected". So, it's not bluetooth going out, it's looking more like the computer can't stay connected to the mouse for some reason.
  • Troubleshooting so far
    • Multiple restarts, checked for updates on laptop side, it's up to date
    • Checked for drivers on the mice, both are up to date
    • Both mice have fresh batteries and are reporting their battery percentages in the bluetooth menu.
    • I have run the bluetooth troubleshooter
    • I have re-paired the mice from scratch, forgetting their bluetooth settings, etc.
    • I have gone into devices and made sure that the bluetooth is not being power-managed off, I forget the right terms, but I disabled the option to allow power mgmt to manage the bluetooth connections
    • Testing with multiple bluetooth headphones and external speakers to confirm: when the mice drops out, audio to a speaker or headphones are unaffected

Really great laptop - hoping to get this sorted out without an RMA but using a mouse is critical for my workflow...

Continue reading...

Back