Windows 10 Broke all my app and shortcut icons

• Thread starter Thread starter KyuKittyBeanZ
  • Start date Start date
K

KyuKittyBeanZ

I had 3 rows of shortcuts on my Desktop (win10) and didn't like the clutter to I made a new folder on desktop and placed the 3 rows of shortcuts in there. Immediately all the icons went blank white and even placing them back on desktop doesn't fix it. I tried right clicking each shortcut > properties > change icon but it only fixed 30% of them. Even though it shows the original icon graphic in "Change Icon" it does nothing when I apply. Tried restarting PC multiple times, deleting icon cache

Another weird thing is at the same time, when I'd send something from the Desktop to recycle bin the item on desktop would still show there until I right click + pressed Refresh. That's never happened before until today. It somehow fixed itself but still worth mentioning.

Also, it's not just the shortcut icons that are broken. For example, the shortcut to GeForce Experience runs the software when I double click it, and if I right click the shortcut to "open file location" the Icon in that location is also broken.

The only other thing I did besides move my shortcuts from Desktop into a new folder on Desktop was install Winrar. It was right after these 2 actions everything got messed. Uninstalling Winrar also didn't fix

Thinking about factory resetting this Laptop to start fresh (been a year) but I don't know the current 2021 best method of starting Windows 10 from scratch on a laptop that has 500gb SSD + 1TB HDD. Every computer I've owned in the past had a single storage drive

Continue reading...

Back