Windows 10 BSOD - Critical Process Died and Unexpected Store Exception

• Thread starter Thread starter Rjcgy
  • Start date Start date
R

Rjcgy

Hello,

I have been getting increasing blue screen errors over the last several weeks. I have searched here and elsewhere for solutions, and have been unsuccessful. I am hoping that someone here will be able to at least point me in the right direction, as at this point I don't even know if this is a hardware or a Windows issue, or if it's related to other software, perhaps.

The computer is 9 months old, assembled by the store in which I bought the components. Specs are as follows:

Win10 Home

ASUS Z170-E Motherboard

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz
16.0 GB RAM
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (Windows is installed here)
Western Digital 1TB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W Gold Power supply
Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler

In general I am getting BSODs when playing two specific games - Civilization VI and Fallout 4. Both were installed to my SSD (although I moved Civilization to the HDD to see if that would help - it did not). It is most consistent while playing Civilization VI. After about 5 minutes it will freeze and give me a blue screen; either CRITICAL PROCESS DIED or UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION. I don't believe I've had any other types of blue screens. The blue screens strangely occur during low-stress times (i.e. not during a loading screen or heavy action) such as walking around in Fallout or panning around the map during my turn in Civilization.

In all instances, it refuses to create a minidump or a memory dump. I have followed the advice on here and turned off the automatic reboot on crash, but the 'collecting information' progress stays at 0% until I hard reset the system. My last minidump is from over a month ago, and I can't recall the circumstances in which it was created. I can post it if you think it might help.

I am 100% sure I do not have malware or a virus. I am running Kaspersky Internet Security and have also scanned with Malwarebytes. I did read somewhere that exclusions in your antivirus may cause the issue, so I made sure these two games had full permissions (both were curiously "Low Restricted" initially - no other software/games were "low restricted", I thought this was a strange coincidence) but moving them to "Trusted" did not help.

I have checked my hardware to the best of my ability and all tests have come back fine.

sfc /scannow on C: (the SSD) shows no errors or problems. I ran a memory test on the ram, no problems. I've used Samsung Magician to check the health of the SSD, no problems.

I have not had blue screens occur outside of the two aforementioned games, as far as I can remember. Perhaps a random one over 6 months ago, but at the time it was an isolated incident, and I do not recall the error code.

My Open Hardware Monitor shows seemingly normal values - ~65% load on all CPU cores, ~15% load on memory, 54 degrees (C) GPU temp, 48% load GPU core, and under 30 degrees (C) SSD & HDD temps. Although I do not know if these reset after a restart. I am unable to monitor it during game play, although it does not make any more noise or emit any more heat than normal during game play. Given my specs above, neither of these two games should push the system too hard.

In Windows Event Viewer, there seem to be no system errors listed until AFTER the reboot (Critical - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first...etc.) Please let me know if I can provide any additional info from the system event viewer.

I am at a loss. I was told by a Microsoft support tech (I called in last week) that the UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION is common with failing or faulty SSDs. However at this point I can't conclusively figure out if this is a hardware or software issue. Other than the blue screens during these two games, the system seems to run fine without any problems whatsoever. No performance issues, no other blue screens, nothing out of the ordinary that I can think of.

Lastly, when the problem started increasing (a few weeks after installing Civilization VI), at that time I had checked to make sure all of my drivers were up to date, and they were. I do believe they still are.

Thank you in advance, and please let me know if I can provide any additional details; I've tried to include everything I could think of. I just want to pinpoint what the issue is so that I can go about fixing it.

Continue reading...

Back