Windows 10 BSODs and program crashes; possible hardware failure

• Thread starter Thread starter Epiqu1n
  • Start date Start date
E

Epiqu1n

Issue

Over the past couple months I have been experiencing games and apps crashing (especially Firefox tabs), as well as occasional BSODs while doing even ordinary tasks. I believe blue screens only occurred every 1-2 weeks initially, but lately it has been about every other day. Blue screen errors include:

- Faulty hardware corrupted page
- Memory management
- System thread exception not handled (once with the added text, "What failed: gxgmms2.sys")
- Page fault in a non paged area
- Critical structure corruption

Is this definitely a hardware issue, and is it possible to tell which component is failing? Are there other tests I can run to narrow it down?

Troubleshooting

"sfc /scannow" and Windows Memory Diagnostic tool report that everything is fine. However, I tried MemTest86 and by the third pass it failed due to too many errors. Both sticks pass on their own without issue, regardless of which slot they are in. However, trying both sticks together always fails. Full results.

I noticed that aside from 2 warnings with CPU 0 on test 13, every single "MEM ERROR" occurred with CPU 2, where the 2nd to last digit of the actual result would be +/- 1 away from the expected result. Example:

2020-03-18 17:04:53 - [MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 5, CPU: 2, Address: 11801CE04, Expected: 55AD0DC4, Actual: 55AD0DD4

However, I ran a 2 hour RAM & CPU torture test with Prime95 and there were no issues at all. I have also updated my BIOS, reinstalled my display driver, and disabled XMP, but nothing has changed.

PC Details

System specs

DxDiag (includes some Windows Error Reports at the bottom)

The initial build is a couple years old but the CPU and motherboard were installed around Jan 1st, and my first blue screen occurred on Jan 28. I always get the latest Windows updates and keep my drivers up to date.

Continue reading...