Windows 10 Can you please change notifications and autohide taskbar behavior?

• Thread starter Thread starter Hugh Cowart
  • Start date Start date
H

Hugh Cowart

Stop taskbar from not autohiding when receiving notifications

Ran across this locked thread about this. Basically you have to either nerf any application that notifies you or really, turn them all off to avoid the taskbar constantly failing to autohide because ANY application has notifications.

First, I think the primary reason this is so annoying is because the taskbar becoming visible with auto hide enabled does not behave the same way as when you have autohide disabled. When always visible it will NEVER obscure open windows. When autohide is on and it pops up it hides a strip of the desktop and any window portions being drawn in that area. This can cause some very awkward problems as many key elements like confirm, cancel buttons are often at the bottom of screens. One of the primary reason folks enable this is to maximize available desktop space for working so this means they are even more likely to face obscured GUI elements due to this behavior.

Second, and I think more importantly, something else that makes this very frustrating even for a very experienced power user is that when setting taskbar behavior in taskbar settings there is NOTHING that indicates to you notifications will be a part of this behavior. You turn it on and expect the thing to hide unless you need it then inevitably a few minutes later the damn thing is visible again even though you haven't moused to the bottom of the screen. Then when you go back to check the settings it is still enabled. There are no options on that interface settings page to give you a clue that notifications play a role in auto hide behavior. No note, not hot link to notifications settings. no option to control notification behavior with respects to task bar auto hide behavior etc... And it is not clear that the reason it is becoming visible is due to notifications other than through trial and error or googling to find out what the hell is happening.

Perhaps I am wrong but I think perhaps what most of us expect is that the taskbar will function the exact same in terms of application highlights etc... just that when we choose autohide we will only see that information WHEN WE CHOOSE TO VIEW THE TASK BAR. By selecting autohide we are telling the system to keep the taskbar out of view unless we mouse to the side of the screen it is anchored too.

TLDR - A) make the taskbar auto hide visible behavior match non auto hide behavior in that when visible it does not obscure any desktop information. B) add taskbar visibility behavior due to notifications as a part of the taskbar settings menu so that it is 1) clear notifications will over ride your request to hide the taskbar unless you disable notifications and 2) that you can control all elements rated to taskbar behavior from the TASKBAR SETTINGS menu C) allow a middle ground that maintains taskbar notification information when visible but keeps notifications from making the taskbar visible.

Continue reading...