Windows 10 Can you totally disable 'one drive' I can't find my files on my laptop apparently because of it

• Thread starter Thread starter Employee13
  • Start date Start date
E

Employee13

I recently 'upgraded' to Win 10. I copied over some data files including my documents folder.

I have noticed two things very different from Win 8.1.

First,

For some reason the OS seems to think that every folder I open needs to automatically be put into the Quick Access listings. This of course is not what I want and I have to continually remove them from this listing.

Not a handy feature, in fact not a good feature at all.

Second, and this is the biggie

I have never used any kind of a cloud for storage. For some reason Win 10 seems to think that some folders and files should go there without my knowledge.

I expect to find folders and files in the explorer function which I can move and edit with no problems as I've been doing for years. Now my 'documents' folder under the Drive C\users\name\documents is empty and all of the folders and files are in the quick access section are all all on One Drive. My ability to edit/move/ etc has been impaired. (Ok, so some of you are perfectly happy with OD and you've been using it for 'free' storage for remote access) I don't need those things and obviously don't want them.

One more thing: about Quick Access

Why do folders seem to go there whenever I open them for editing?

This is a huge change for me. I don't have time for a week of training everytime these OS changes are made. I am not a computer geek and don't want to be.

Can I somehow determine not to use One Drive? The computer already has it as being used. I want those files on my computer not in a cloud. I don't want to lose those files. Having files in more than one place seems downright a bad idea even if they are synchronized or whatever.

Just another way usoft wants to extract more money from people - entice them with a free taste then make them subscribe.

A lot of questions here, hope I can get some of then answered.

Continue reading...

Back