Windows 10 Cannot log into Windows 10 offine with Roaming profile

• Thread starter Thread starter DavidMillward_278
  • Start date Start date
D

DavidMillward_278

Hi all,

This is a bit of a bizarre one I came across testing Windows 10.

Scenario: Windows 10 Enterprise joined to a Domain using roaming profiles, offline files and folder redirection.

1. New windows 10 surface machine with no profiles loaded

2. User logs on, gets their roaming profile no problem and the GPOs are applied.

3. User logs off successfully and the profile is synchronised.

4. Disconnect the network connection and try and log back in with the same user.

What I expect to happen is: The computer detects that it has no network connection, and will time out looking for the domain. It will then log on with the locally cached copy of the profile.

What actually happened: The computer sat there "Waiting for the user profile service" for over 30 minutes before I gave up.

I eventually plugged the network cable back in, and the login process was able to complete.

I investigated the event logs and found that the workstation did not send a logon request until after the network cable was re-connected. In other words there was no request to time-out.

Resolution: Reboot the computer.

After the computer restarted, offline logins for this user worked perfectly in seconds as I had planned with my GPO settings.

This behaviour was repeatable, by logging another user on, who had not previously logged onto the machine. Each new users required the machine to be restarted before they can log in without being connected to the domain.

This does not seem to be working as intented to me. Once the profile has been successfully cached on the local side, it should be useable.

Does anyone from Microsoft have any input on this behaviour?

Continue reading...

Back