Windows 10 Cannot read files on unlocked bitlocker usb thumbdrive

• Thread starter Thread starter BarnabeF
  • Start date Start date
B

BarnabeF

Hi,

I am trying to adapt to the new security restrictions put together by my company which means that all external devices (harddrive or thumbdrives) need to be bitlocker encrypted to receive files from my computer.

However I am faced with a problem after encrypting on a win10 laptop a (test) FAT32 thumbdrive with bitolocker and adding files on it:

- If I connect the thumbdrive on the original lapotp it's been encrypted on, I can read all the files after unlocking the drive with my password

- If I connect the thumbdrive to a different win10 laptop, I can unlock the thumbdrive and see all the files, but if I double click on a text file, it opens with a lot of gibberish characters and if I open a pdf or image, I don't remember the message, but nothing good happens.

- I tried connecting the thumbdrive to a mac with bitlocker compatible softwares and I can unlock the drive as well but the files are not readable either

- if I turn off the bitlocker encryption (from the original laptop used for the encryption), the decryption starts, and once finished, I can see all the files of the thumbdrive on either another win10 laptop or mac without having to use any password, but still have problems opening files copied to the thumbdrive after the thumbdrive was encrypted.

any clue what I should check or what this may be about ?

Continue reading...

Back