Windows 7 Cannot right click Windows 7 in File Explorer to generate copy of file names into a Notepad...

• Thread starter Thread starter DavidGibsonCND
  • Start date Start date
D

DavidGibsonCND

I have been struggling for several hours to restore the right click functionality that I used to have in XP to Windows 7. I need to save lists of file names as viewed in File Explorer. You used to be able to right click and save files to Notepad. This option has been removed in Windows 7 and nothing put in place to restore it.

I have lists of items in inventory and need to copy and paste the corresponding image names to an upload sheet to allow the server to match the images to the item SKUs. The file names are long and typing them is a complete waste of time,

I used to be able to look them up in Windows explorer, right click on the directory, and generate a txt file that I could open in Notepad or Excel. - Easy. Now the right click only allows an export in an un-editable image file in ONE NOTE. This is useless to me. I can do nothing with an image file - i need the editable data.

Is there a solution? I need just the file names and extension, not the complete path, in a spread sheet or text document.

I had used the Microsoft solution to install their fix without knowing the final format was in ONE NOTE image file format and not a simple txt file. I am now trying to over-write the batch file :

%windir%\Printdir.bat

or edit it to just leave the file in Notepad and not do the final conversion to One Note.

The problem is that the Microsoft fix, designed to correct this issue, placed the conversion file in the root directory and it cannot be over-written. I am denied the ability to remove, edit or over-write the file because of the Administrator privilege requirements mandated by Windows 7 security.

So, if anyone has a solution to either problem - it would be a help - i am very tired and frustrated and un-happy with Microsoft. Their zealous concern with security has rendered their programs useless to me and have further discouraged me from converting to windows 10. frustrations and nightmares await me there I dare not imagine. What I really want to do at this point is go back to XP.

This has eaten five hours of my day. I don't have time to fight like this. I am trying to be productive but all I hit are monumental technical walls and road blocks - often designed into the system. Frustrating does not begin to describe it.

Continue reading...

Back