Windows 10 Can't activate Windows 10 after hardware change.

• Thread starter Thread starter Quantum87
  • Start date Start date
Q

Quantum87

PC has been out of commission for a year. I installed new motherboard and GPU since I wasn't sure the problem. Windows isn't activated. I've changed the motherboard before and no problems. This time it tells me "We can't activate windows on this device as the previous version of windows was not activated prior to upgrading to Windows 10. Go to the store to buy genuine windows. " Error Code: 0x803F7001. But windows is working perfectly fine as it's the same ssd as before, it's just not activated. Troubleshooter doesn't work. I initially upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 during the free upgrade at launch. Don't have a product key or digital license. Can't find a way to purchase a digital license. Does not show up in store. I haven't done anything in terms of getting ready for this event, like linking my account. My PC died and a year later when I fixed it with new hardware windows will not activate. I don't want to buy a new copy of windows 10 home if I don't necessarily have to. And if I do have to. Do I actually have to download it and install it even if the windows I have now is perfectly fine, just not activated? Again, I never had a product key and none of the information I've found so far has worked for me. I've tried all the basic stuff I have found online to no avail. I think I've covered everything.

Continue reading...