Windows 10 Can't boot from M.2 drive in Computer A, boots fine from same drive in Computer B (Error: windows b1initializelibrary failed 0xc00009a

• Thread starter Thread starter FrostEgiant
  • Start date Start date
F

FrostEgiant

I just finished building myself a brand new gaming computer, and have been really happy with it. My brother wanted one, so we ordered the parts for essentially the same machine (only difference is 9600k vs 10600k for his, and mobo gen update for proper socket,) got the second one all together, and installed windows on his M.2 drive. Went just fine, got U/N & P/W set, and told it to restart to let things settle in and make sure all was well in the kingdom. All was not well. Mobo splashscreen, then white text saying "windows b1initializelibrary failed 0xc00009a"

Wasn't sure what to do with that. Pulled up the list of boot drives hoping to just repair it from the install disk. No luck from chasing my tail for a while there. The M.2 drive is still listed as "Windows Boot Manager (Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB)" It won't boot past that "Windows initialize Library" message, so I couldn't get into disk manager to check things out on his machine. Popped the drive out and poked it into mine (I can list hardware minutiae if you think it's relevant) hoping to look at the drive in disk manager on mine. I was slow in interrupting the boot sequence, and it booted INTO HIS WINDOWS INSTALL, NO PROBLEM. What am I missing here? I hoped it just maybe botched the transition from initial install to functional boot disk, so (with his drive in my computer) I used diskpart.exe running as admin to wipe all partitions, then reinstalled- thinking that if it installed fine in his and booted in mine, maybe I could sweet-talk his into booting into a preconfigured, stable windows install on his drive once I poked it back into his rig. No dice.

The official Micro$oft page on that error says, "This problem occurs because the boot firmware on the computer generates lots of memory fragmentation." And their helpful advice, IN ITS ENTIRETY is: "We recommend that you do not let boot firmware create large amounts of fragmentation." Great. Why didn't I think of that...

I've tried installing Windows on a newly wiped SATA SSD on his machine, exact same result. Help? I'm kind of at a loss.

Continue reading...

Back