Windows 10 Can't boot Windows, can't reinstall it

• Thread starter Thread starter Escolopendro
  • Start date Start date
E

Escolopendro

This is going to be a bit long, but I want to give details of the issue.

Since I was forced to install the latest November update (about five days ago), my PC has been slower than usual, taking a few seconds to open notepad, folders or any file, really. Local music playback was sometimes stopped, like it needed to reload the file. Even startup was taking longer than usual. Windows is installed on an SSD and I have an HDD for data, with two partitions. I decided to run a dskchk and started with one of those partitions on the HDD. After it finished (apparently fixing a few bad sectors), Windows Explorer did not detect any of my drives (not even the system SSD) and kept loading forever. I decided to restart, and about 5 minutes after I clicked the restart button, it actually began to restart. Being stuck at the "restarting" screen for more than five minutes AGAIN, I shut down the computer manually. And I can't use my computer since. It would be weird for the chkdsk to be related to the issue, but more information never hurts.

Upon startup, the welcome screen (ASUS) is there for a minute (and I used to see that screen, like, I don't know, three seconds) and when it tries to boot Windows, I get a "Read disk error ocurred" message (after a minute or two of black screen). I accessed the BIOS a few times, which showed my HDD as primary boot drive, instead of the SSD. I tried a few things and looked for solutions on the net (which I did not find), and ultimately decided to reinstall Windows.

Since I couldn't access my drives for a backup, I used another computer (laptop) to make a Ubuntu bootable USB drive and used Ubuntu (as a portable OS) to backup my SSD into an external drive. This process worked flawlessly.

Then, I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO provided at the Microsoft site, made a bootable USB drive (using Rufus) and tried to reinstall. After a few failed attempts, I reached the Windows logo and the loading animation. After a few minutes loading, I finally got a black screen. And I waited for, like, twenty minutes, but that was all I got. So I used a Windows 10 DVD I had recently burned for someone else, and got the same result. Only noisier. I used the Media Creation Tool (which I had on an external drive, since the Microsoft site doesn't seem to provide it any more) and got the same result. In fact, I am writing this while my computer is showing that annoying black screen, in the hopes that I will find something different when I'm done.

So, long story short: I can't access Windows (though Ubuntu works perfectly) and I can't boot any drive to reinstall it.

For the record, I am using a 8GB USB (I've noticed installing issues in the past when using larger ones), and it's the same one I've used for every time I've had to install Windows 10.

Thanks in advance.

Continue reading...