Windows 10 Can't delete or take ownership of Windows Apps in secondary drive after reinstalling windows

• Thread starter Thread starter Otávio Bopp
  • Start date Start date
O

Otávio Bopp

So, I reinstalled windows 10 via windows 10 itself, and I choose to keep my files, but all my windows 10 apps were deleted. Oh well, I though, that's just how things go, but my problems began when I couldn't install my xbox game pass games on my D: drive. That is, I couldn't set a WindowsApps folder in my D drive for anything, which is a problem because that's my largest drive. Recently I realized that the old MicrosoftApps folder with my games on D was still there, with about 100GB of games to boot.

Except I couldn't even open that folder or windows explorer would crash. After a lot of messing around with CMD and permissions, I was able to open the folder, but I definitely can't play any of the games, open any files, and certainly not rename or delete anything there. I've tried running countless commands, registry additions, but mostly it says that I need permision from MY OWN USERNAME whenever I try to do anything in the folder. Even in CMD or powershell it gives errors saying I don't have permission. I've tried pratically everything for hours, I've turned off all the processes I could find, troubleshoot windows update, I've given and removed permission, turned off windows defender, but I still can't do anything besides browse the folders. Sometimes windows gave me the error code 0x80004005, I've tried some fixes for that code but nothing worked.

Windows does not detect any of the games there as installed, in any drive. In fact my D drive has no programs installed. And I still cannot install any apps in my D drive, which I imagine will be fixed if I delete that old MicrosoftApps folder. I would really like the extra space to install apps on my D folder, but my biggest concern is the nearly 100GB that's being wasted on my D drive.

I imagine the permissions on the folder are somehow corrupted from my last installation, and maybe the fact that I have the same username as before is causing trouble.

Continue reading...

Back