Windows 10 Cant get any MST hubs to work on multiple computers with many different configurations

• Thread starter Thread starter wowseriouslyx
  • Start date Start date
W

wowseriouslyx

I am trying to get a display port 1.2 MST hub to split 2 monitors. Only 1 monitor works while the other gets no signal.

I have tried on different computers, GPUs, monitors, MST splitters, and none work. All devices are supposed to support MST.

I also bought 2 of these complete setups, so there's definitely no faulty parts.

1x XFX 570 8GB Black GPU

*GPU has support for 6 monitors, and even has Eyefinity Technology (should definitely support MST hub)

Amazon.com: XFX Radeon RX 570 RS Black Edition 1328MHz, 8gb 256bit GDDR5, DX12 VR Ready, Dual BIOS, 3xDP HDMI DVI, AMD Graphics Card (RX-570P8DBD6): Computers & Accessories

6x Alienware Monitor AW2720HF

*Multiple support calls and Dell claims this monitor supports MST. It has DP 1.2 listed on webpage as well.

Tested Splitters:

Startech: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-2-Port-DisplayPort-MST-Hub/dp/B00XXPYGPO

SIIG: Amazon.com: SIIG 1x2 DisplayPort [DP] 1.2 to 4K 30Hz DisplayPort Multi-Monitor Splitter and Adapter - 2 Port MST Hub, (Not for Mac OS): Electronics

Obviously, I'm using display port from the monitor to the splitter, and the splitter to the GPU. The splitter is plugged into USB and LED lights are on.

Windows 10 Home and Pro tested

The monitors are only 1080p, so it should easily be able to split them. They are set at 60hz by default even though they are 244 hz. I have tried reducing to minimum resolution and it doesn't affect anything.

I have installed/reinstalled drivers multiple times. I manually picked the driver, and also did automatic picker.

I tested this on a newly built custom PC, an HP gaming pc, and a new $5k alienware laptop.

I have tried enabling/disabling DDC/CI on monitor.

I also tried HDMI to DP active and passive adapters.

If I go into Display Settings, it shows the monitors hooked up to the splitters, but I just can't extend/mirror them. They have blank value for display resolution.

Notice in the picture it says display settings could not be saved. That's what happens when I try to extend to the monitors with no signal. Clearly, the resolution and other values are blank. In advanced display settings, the monitor says it's not active.

This happens even with only 2 monitors hooked up on 1 splitter instead of 6. It happens on all the computers I've tested.

Most how to videos show everything as plug and play. There's some that mention bios settings but don't actually specify. Given that I've tried on 3 different motherboards/PCs, it seems insane that none of them would work due to BIOS. I wouldn't rule it out though.

My guess is Windows 10 or AMD drivers, but I have run out of things to test. Any ideas?

Continue reading...

Back