Windows 10 Can't launch apps from Xbox Game Pass/Microsoft Store

• Thread starter Thread starter OleMathisen
  • Start date Start date
O

OleMathisen

I've purchased the Xbox Game Pass and attempted to install Forza Horizon 4

The game successfully installed, but I couldnt launch it.

Nothing at all happens when I click launch.

I went into the root folder of the game, after I had given myself permission to view files in WindowsApps, and saw that all the files are encrypted and locked. No matter what I try, I can not get permissions for the files. I've went to properties and assigned myself as the owner of all the files in the root folder, given everyone Full Control, when that didn't work I assigned Everyone as the owner of all the files. I also did this with the WindowsApps folder as well as the folder that contains the root files. I've also tried downloading a Take Ownership registry thingy so that you can right click any file and click "Take Ownership", no luck.

When I right click any file in the root folder and click the "Unlock Access" or whatever it is named, I'm prompted with the error message saying 0x800700057. When I try right clicking any file, click properties and try to uncheck the "Encrypt file to protect data" or whatever it says, I get the error message "The parameter is Incorrect".

I thought maybe this was a problem with my SSD, so I tried reinstalling the game on another SSD. Same problem. With no luck I formattet my SSD and reinstalled Windows on it, making sure it was the latest version. I installed the game, and no luck. I formatted my OTHER SSD, installed the newest version of Windows on it, and unplugged my original SSD. At this point I only had one SSD plugged in which has never had Windows installed on it. It was the latest version, yet the same problem occured.

I thought maybe it was a problem with the Windows Version, so I downgraded to 1909 with a formatted SSD yet again. Didn't work, same error.

I downgraded to 1903 with a formatted SSD YET AGAIN.

Didn't work, same error.

I've currently got the game installed with the same problem still, and I'm completely lost. I thought maybe this was a problem with the Microsoft Store itself, so I attempted to download Slither.IO, as it was free and I would check if I could launch that. that worked completely fine. Thereafter, I attempted to check if maybe this was a problem with the Game Pass itself, so I downloaded ARK: Survival Evolved, and Microsoft Flight Simulator. These are games included with the Game Pass. Neither games launch, and the same error messages occur.

With the current SSD I also tried turning off Windows Defender and Firewall, and running the troubleshooter for Microsoft Store (The Troubleshooter came back with no Errors). I've also ran WSReset, cleared the cache for everything I can imagine, Reset the Microsoft Store. Absolutely NOTHING have worked, and I have tried EVERYTHING that I could find by digging a little deeper than just the surface.

I'm assuming this is no longer an error on my end. Maybe I bought the Game Pass, but Microsoft doesn't "Recognize", that I've purchased it, so I am able to install the games, but they somehow haven't registered that my account owns an active Game Pass, so I can't launch any games?

I've posted this in the Xbox thread as well, as I'm not sure if this is a problem with the Xbox App or the Microsoft Store, so I decided on posting it on both.

Continue reading...

Back