Windows 10 Can't log into Windows 10 or perform admin repair functions

• Thread starter Thread starter Vanderbeam
  • Start date Start date
V

Vanderbeam

I'm currently beyond frustrated right now!

I recently put together a new PC for my fiancée. He calls me in because it blue screened. After the restart, the PC asks me for my password (we use a PIN login, but I forgot to remove the password login function before handing it off to him). I enter the original password I had set up when setting up Windows 10 - it's wrong. Gives me the whole "That password is incorrect. Make sure you are using the password for your Microsoft account. You can always reset it at account.live.com/password/reset" error even though I know the password is correct.

It will absolutely not allow me to do anything in the Troubleshooting menu screen. To do anything, it says "Hey, you need to sign in. Is this you? Enter your password. OH, IT'S WRONG!" It also doesn't give me the option to login with a local account (even though I know one exists from when I set it up before I had my Windows 10 key).

I've tried:

• Safe Mode (of course)
  • Safe Mode with Networking
  • Logging in normally and in Safe with the Wi-Fi on and with it off (gotta try everything, right?)
  • Of course, tried resetting my Microsoft Account password
  • Running sfc/scannow in the Command Prompt
  • Running system repairs with my Boot USB
  • Restarting several times (which I'm sure you can assume considering everything on this list requires a restart)
  • The on-screen keyboard
  • Another password reset
  • Toggling the Wi-Fi as a desperate attempt to "sync" the old/new passwords
  • All old passwords (even one from before I built this rig)
  • No password at all
  • Pretty much every "Fix" from every article relating to the issue available online
  • Probably something else I'm forgetting

And just so they could kick me while I was down, I even threw in the towel and decided to Reset the PC to factory settings, BUT GUESS WHAT! They need to verify me as an admin to do that! And "my password is incorrect!"

So before I have a complete mental breakdown and wipe the partitions on the hard drive and reinstall from my boot USB, I figured I'd give the community a shot and see if anyone could lend a hand or has had this same issue before. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Continue reading...

Back