Windows 10 Can't move/delete/copy files, security and special permissions greyed out, taking ownership didn't help

• Thread starter Thread starter RobChang2
  • Start date Start date
R

RobChang2

Just in the past week or so, I started getting access denied errors to my D drive, and now can't move/delete/copy files, and Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive folders can't work property (access denied), and the same is for my Music and Video folder, as well as My Documents folder (while all the other folders on the D drive seems okay.

I tried searching for solutions online and tried everything, but folder properties' security and advanced special permissions are greyed out. This includes buttons like "disable inheritance, add, and remove, and only view is not greyed out. But if I click on view, all the permissions are again greyed out. When I looked in Effective Access, it shows I have full control, but I actually don't.

Taking ownership didn't help at all. According to all the greyed out permissions I can see, I'm supposed to have full control over everything, but that's not true. Something else seems to be overriding all everything. I then noticed that for the other drives that are working okay, there's an "Authenticated User" in the list of permissions, but the problematic drive (D:) doesn't, so I went and added the Authenticated User. But while it's applying the permission to D drive, errors popped up for those cloud storage folders I mentioned previously, as well as for some of the media storage folders.

So I'm all out of ideas at this point. If anyone can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it.

Continue reading...

Back