Windows 10 CD Drive not detected after updating win 10 to 1809

• Thread starter Thread starter Dalziel63
  • Start date Start date
D

Dalziel63

My desktop computer was running perfectly under windows 10 version 1803. Then it updated itself to 1809 and since that upgrade it does not recognise the CD drive.
I rolled back to 1803 but now it still does not detect the CD drive. (It did before the 1809 upgrade!)
The sata cd drive is fine. It can boot up from CDs with no problems. It is only since windows 10 upgrade that the problems arises.

I have trolled the internet for a soluton and have already tried the following several times:

Solution 1. Show hidden (Unhide) CD/DVD Devices in Windows 10
Solution 2. Uninstall IDE ATA/ ATAPI Controllers
Solution 3. Update or reinstall CD/DVD Driver
Solution 4. Fix CD/DVD Drive Missing by Command Prompt
Solution 5. Fix Corrupted Registry Entries
Solution 6. Create a Registry Subkey

1. Checked Device Manager and shown hidden devices.

2. ATA Ch.0 or 1 doesn't exist under IDE/ATAPI, so nothing to delete there.
Similarly no Upper or Lower filters to delete in registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

There are no virtual drive software to remove.
BIOS/UEFI dettings are fine and drive recognised there, so booting from CD drive no problem.

3. From a Command prompt (admin) run this registry key (reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001)

4. Edited the registry to add the key Controller0 with DWORD (32-bit) EnumDevice1 and set its value to 1, to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi'.

Oddly enough on one rare occasion the Cd drive showed up as drive F and I used it ot erase an RW DVD successfully. But the next start up it was not detected again or since.

Oh yes, I even did a clean install of win 10 but still no joy. Very frustrating.
Thanks for any help.

Den

Continue reading...

Back