Windows 10 Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

• Thread starter Thread starter mgorski10
  • Start date Start date
M

mgorski10

Hello,

I need find a way to disable the onboard microphone on a number of Windows 10 laptops I am imaging via SCCM OSD. After a lot of research it seems the best way to do this is by changing a registry value that controls whether the mic is enabled or disabled. I've tried using Devcon to disable the microphone, which after running the command will show the mic as disabled in control panel but it will continue to function. I found going to "sound" in control panel and disabling it from there will do the job but I need to automate this, hence the registry. The problem I have is the registry key the value for the mic is stored under is randomly generated when the laptop is built.

The key I need to modify is stored at this location:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Capture\<randomGUID>

DeviceState = DWORD

To disable the mic, the data for DeviceState should be set to 10000001 in hex or 268435457 in decimal.

I figure the best way to do this is might be to use powershell to search the registry for the key, assign it to variable, and then have it update the value. The criteria to find the key could be by the following value and data:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Capture\<randomGUID>\Properties

Value: a45c254e-df1c-4efd-8020-67d146a850e0},2 = REG_SZ

Data: Microphone Array

Unfortunately I know very little of powershell outside of running basic commands and do not know how to script this to make it work. Can anyone help me figure this out or if anyone has a better idea how to disable the mic, I'd be happy to listen.

Thanks in advance

Continue reading...

Back