Windows 10 Changing Text to Speech Voice

• Thread starter Thread starter GeorgeMurphy1
  • Start date Start date
G

GeorgeMurphy1

Hello,

I've been trying to make the Microsoft George text to speech voice on my Windows 10 desktop computer available for use in the third-party program, Voice Attack. I downloaded the English (UK) language pack, and thought that would be enough, but not only is the voice not visible to voice attack, it's not visible to Microsoft Office, and I can't get it to read anything except the sample text in setting when you click the Preview button.

I tried setting Microsoft George as my default text to speech voice in Settings and restarted my computer. The default text to speech voice in settings still said it's Microsoft George as it should, but everything reads in the Microsoft David voice, and Microsoft George is still not visible to Voice Attack. The strange part is that Microsoft Hazel does show up and does work in other applications. I checked Control Panel>Ease of Access>Use a computer without a display>Set up text to speech, and Only David, Zira, and Hazel show up, same as in Voice Attack. I tried downloading the English (UK) language pack from the Control Panel instead of settings but to no effect. The only thing I haven't tried is setting my default language to English (UK), because I don't want my written languages to change. Other than that, I'm out of things to try.

I can't seem to find anyone who's having quite the same problem as me online. I did get something that suggested that the voice I want might be somehow only available for mobile operating systems, but I've found nothing to suggest that this one is a mobile voice on the website or in Settings. If for some reason it is incompatible with a desktop OS, I would appreciate any suggestion (short of piracy which I don't engage in) anyone has of how I can get a reasonably high quality male TTS with a British accent to work on my Windows 10 desktop without having to pay upwards of $30 for the professional ones.

Thank you.

Continue reading...